Disclosure and Barring Service
About the job
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) was established under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 on 1 December 2012, operating from two sites, Liverpool and Darlington.
We provide disclosure functions in England, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man, and barring functions for England, Wales and Northern Ireland, on behalf of government.
DBS operates within the safeguarding arena alongside our multi-agency partners. Safeguarding means protecting peoples health, wellbeing and human rights, and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect.
We provide services that enable organisations in the public, private and voluntary sectors to make better informed, safer recruitment decisions. We do this by providing information to enable them to determine whether individuals are unsuitable or unable to undertake certain work, particularly with occupations involving regular contact with vulnerable groups, including children
- An understanding of the DBSs obligations and the impact of the various polices and legislation, to ensure that the DBS meets its government set targets and remains compliant.
- Develop and manage the Environmental strategy to enable the DBS to meet its carbon reduction target and its environmental performance requirements.
- Develop an action plan for the delivery of the DBS sustainability targets and driving delivery of it through collaboration with other key stakeholders across the DBS, notably Commercial, IT and Estates.
- Represent the DBS on all aspects of sustainability, climate change and carbon reduction. As well as be the key point of contact on sustainability matters, policy and wider government initiatives in this area.
- Represent DBS on cross-Govt Sustainability and Environmental forums and landlord forums.
- Manage the DBS relationship around sustainability with key cross-Government departments, such as Greening Government Commitment (GGC) and Office of Zero Emissions Vehicles (OLZV).
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to track the DBSs progress against the Greening Government Commitments and the governments overall aim to achieve Net Zero.
- Work with colleagues in the Climate Change group to support communication, knowledge exchange and capability building across DBS teams.
- Keep up to date with current and emerging policy and legislation related to or which will impact on sustainability and climate change.
- Responsible for all sustainability reporting, including for the yearly Annual Report & Accounts.
- Work to ISO 14001 certificate standards and assisting in the maintenance of the Environmental Management System and the Environmental Legal Register where necessary.
- Responsible for providing quarterly returns to the Greening Government Commitment team, and monitoring targets.
- Work with Government landlords on greening initiatives as well as proactively seeking any wider initiatives / awareness campaigns that we can promote across the DBSs estate.
- Work with the Knowledge Management Team to review policies and procedures from a sustainability and environmental perspective
- Actively promote and encourage an environmentally conscious workplace
- Assist with the Management and where appropriate forecasting a budget ensuring DBS compliance with sustainability and environmental policy and includes contracts, ensuring value for money principles.
- Responsible for developing a working system to effectively understand and manage the short and longer-term Environmental and Sustainability pressures, not only for the DBS but working closely with the Ministry of Justice (MOJ), Home Office and other Government departments as deemed necessary. Act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) and Business Partner (BP) for all aspects of DBS Facilities
- This list is not exhaustive, there may be a need to flex and change for business needs. The post will be located at either Liverpool or Darlington based office. The role holder will be expected to apply own knowledge and experience delivering the work and setting the framework and standards for how that is to be delivered and managed by the DBS organisation.
The post holder is required to work in a flexible way and undertake any other duties reasonably requested by line management which are commensurate with the grade and level of responsibility of this post.
- Adaptability to manage changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Clear demonstration of FM skills in both meeting customer needs and managing supplier relationships
- Use of Microsoft Office Applications (Outlook, Excel, Teams etc) to support work outputs.
- Ability to work on initiative within a wide ranging but structured environment;
- Undertake physical tasks such as assessments, audits and inspections and risk inspections of buildings and premises
- Experienced in energy or environmental role
- Experience of applying environmental and sustainability legislation, strategies, principles and processes in a complex environment.
- Understanding workplace analytics & data; translating it into insights when making decisions about the workplace.
- Understanding and complying with statutory, regulatory and professional requirements
- Providing sustainability advisory support to commercial tendering processes
- Influential and able to lead key senior stakeholders, colleagues and customers towards commercial solutions that give a balance of optimal performance and environmentally sustainable solutions that support the business strategy
- Experience in environmental aspects of risk and impact assessments
- Commercial Acumen
- Sustainable Practice
- Technology & Innovation
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Strategy & Business Planning
- Working towards Practitioner level with IEMA or relevant professional body (eg RICS, Energy Institute, Energy Managers Association, CIEEM, ICE or CIOB) with a preference if already held or equivalent experience or a relevant degree in sustainability, ecology, natural resource management or a related topic
Please note, as part of the pre-employment checks. SC clearance will be required to perform this role
Working towards Practitioner level with IEMA or relevant professional body (eg RICS, Energy Institute, Energy Managers Association, CIEEM, ICE or CIOB) with a preference if already held or equivalent experience or
a relevant degree in sustainability, ecology, natural resource management or a related topic.
Full membership of relevant professional body (eg RICS, Energy Institute, Energy Managers Association, CIEEM, ICE or CIOB) or Chartered Environmentalist or equivalent experience
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Working Together
- Making Effective Decisions
- Changing and Improving
The DBS offers a number of excellent benefits for its employees. These can include:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Excellent maternity, paternity and adoption schemes (after a qualifying period)
- Commitment to the health and wellbeing of our employees
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Flexible working opportunities
- Eyecare voucher scheme
- Occupational Health Service including referrals for counselling and physiotherapy
- 24/7 Counselling and Wellbeing Service
- A Civil Service Pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
The DBS vision and purpose is to make people safer by being a visible, trusted and influential organisation, providing an outstanding quality of service to all our customers and partners, where our people understand the important safeguarding contributions they make and feel proud to work here. To do this, the DBS is committed to being an employer that is able to attract, develop, retain and engage diverse talent that is representative of the communities we serve, and to be an organisation providing outstanding service to all our existing and new customers, who are diverse and have a range of different needs. We want all our staff to be able to bring their whole self to work.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles (opens in a new window) , and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
This vacancy is using Success Profiles and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
To apply for this post, please provide a 750-word suitability statement outlining how your skills, experience and qualifications meet the requirements of the role, including all essential and desirable criteria. In addition, you will be assessed on the following behaviours:
Communicating and Influencing (lead)
Seeing the Bigger Picture (lead)
Making Effective Decisions
Changing and Improving
If we receive a large number of applications, we may conduct an initial sift based on the two behaviours “Communicating and Influencing and Seeing the Bigger Picture” and suitability statement.
Following the initial sift successful candidates will be invited to attend an interview on Teams. All 5 behaviours listed above will tested and probing questions on the essential criteria.
You will be required to give a 10-minute presentation at Interview . click apply for full job details
To apply for this job please visit uk.whatjobs.com.