The University of Sydney
Environment & Sustainability Consulting (Consulting & Strategy)
- Great management opportunity to help realise the University’s Sustainability visions and aspirations
- Competitive salary package on offer including 17% Superannuation
About the opportunity
The Sustainability Manager is responsible for the Sustainability function within University Infrastructure (UI), providing thought leadership, management and oversight of the UI’s sustainability aspirations and objectives. The Manager will lead, co-develop and embed UI’s sustainability goals into our infrastructure, including Green Star, Net Zero pathway solutions, circular economy practices, and energy performance. The position will manage the governance for UI sustainability procedures, controls, and reporting. The position is also responsible to manage and implement UI’s response to the University’s Sustainability strategy , under the leadership of the Central Sustainability Team.
As an integral member of the Design, Engineering, Planning and Sustainability (DEPS) team within University Infrastructure UI, the Manager will also contribute to the establishment and delivery of strategic objectives within UI.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- work closely with the University’s central Sustainability Team to deliver a broad range of activities and tasks to meet the University’s key milestones and deliverables
- work with internal and external stakeholders and collaborators to support effective implementation of the University’s Sustainability Strategy
- incorporate UI sustainability objectives and operational processes, including circular economy principles
- perform and manage sustainability initiatives and projects in collaboration with our partners
- provide advice and drive integration of sustainability and climate change risk in all stages of building projects, including master planning, design development, construction, operation
- provide expertise, advice and lead the implementation of Green Star commitments
- ensure compliance and benefits realisation of sustainability initiatives and environmental compliance
- provide leadership, advice and drive integration of sustainability and climate change risk in all stages of property development
- develop or embed into existing regional and rural strategies, innovative and research-led sustainability and climate resilience aspirations and initiatives to future proof these campuses
- prepare reports, briefings, and other communication to inform on the progress and achievements, both internally and externally
- demonstrated experience in providing thought leadership, management and oversight of Sustainability initiatives within a large complex organisation
- demonstrated experience in driving strategies across sustainability with an engineering lense, including implementation, metering and monitoring
- proven management experience at a senior level with executive presence, together with flexibility, capacity to adapt to changing circumstances and navigating through ambiguity
- outcomes driven, with a passionate hands on attitude
- respected communicator and proven performer in a highly complex, political and competitive environment.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People , women , people living with a disability , people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds , and those who identify as LGBTIQ . We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Sajad Bahram, Recruitment Operations, by email to [email protected]
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for
Don’t provide your bank or credit card details when applying for jobs.
To apply for this job please visit uk.whatjobs.com.